[xep-support] Re: Where to put true-type fonts?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 08 2013 - 07:58:16 PST

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM, jens quade <jq@qdevelop.de> wrote:

>> A better solution might be to add the trailing slash since the user
>> already gave you the path he/she wants to use; and then print an
>> informational that the trailing slash was added on their behalf. In
>> this case, the system "just works" and it relieves the user from being
>> an RFC expert.
>
> That better solution would hopefully refrain from using the xml:base attribute at all, and define it's own attribute, say "path-prefix" or something like that.
>
> Because next person comes around the corner, pasts a http://www.wheremyfontsareliving.com/fonts/font1.ttf in xml:base an expects this to just work, too.

Yep, we do all kind of unexpected and dumb things.

Remember, all we [dumb users] want to do is get on with our task at
hand, which is writing the document. We don't don't want to be DocBook
administrators because it takes time away from our primary goals of
writing the document.

For what its worth, XEP is a cool product. It lays out a document
beautifully. It beats the snot out of Word, Write, Pages, FOP, Troff
(and so many others I have tried). But the font problems are a real
pain point for those who don't have the knowledge.

Jeff

!DSPAM:87,527d0a1d9859148846180!