[xep-support] Re: Where to put true-type fonts?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 08 2013 - 07:34:41 PST

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM, jens quade <jq@qdevelop.de> wrote:
> On 08.11.2013, at 16:05, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM, jens quade <jq@qdevelop.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Jeffrey,

>>> I think this implementation is correct (and probably some xml library stuff) -- see
>>>
>>> RFC 3986 Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
>>> 5.2.3. Merge Paths
>
>> Well, it seems to be a problem in real life, despite what the RFC says.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=BadFontDataException+site:services.renderx.com
>
> Yes, people make mistakes in real life. But not conforming to the expected implementation of xml:base is no solution.
:)

> There are XML parsers that issue a warning if a xml:base attribute does not end in an '/', which might be a smart thing to do in this case.

Well, that's one possible solution, but that solution means the user
must do something. System Engineering has shown its a bad idea to
expect the users do anything (q.v.).

A better solution might be to add the trailing slash since the user
already gave you the path he/she wants to use; and then print an
informational that the trailing slash was added on their behalf. In
this case, the system "just works" and it relieves the user from being
an RFC expert.

You could even have a field that denotes "expert" in xep.xml. Dumb
users like me would leave it at OFF, and the system could add the
slash for me (and save me from my other mistakes). Expert user could
set it to ON, and they can suffer these inconveniences based on the
expert knowledge requirement :)

Jeff

!DSPAM:87,527d04959851238054673!