[xep-support] troubleshhoting xsl-fo validation errors formatting docbookx from xep

From: Laurence L Leff <D-Leff@wiu.edu>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2011 - 13:52:59 PDT

I have a 320-page class notes I Prepared with docbook.
How can I trouble shoot the following type of problem:

e. g.

  (validate
    [error] Attribute 'space-before.optimum' cannot have a value of "".
    [validation total: 1 error]
Parse error: Invalid XSL FO source 'file:/home/leffstudent/225/notes.xml.fo': 1 error found during validation

This is from the XSL-FO that the docbook part of the toolchain creates.
How can I find where the problem is.

I tried searching for "space-before.optimum="" in the XSL-FO file but could
not find it.

I see the folint.xsl that render X graciously provided. I do not see
that it prints out the location in the xsl-fo file that is the problem.
(Hopefully, I can then see the corresponding place in the docbook document
and fix the one that is causing th eproblem.

Now, I do have validation errors against the docbook DTD (xmlto).
As I mentioned
in a support posting (2299) in 2004, they wwere ones that many systems are
tolerant of such as leaving out the paragraphs from a listitem tag before
writing the text to be in the list item.

<section>
<para>
<orderedlist>
<listitem>technically, text should not be in a listitem</listitem>
<listitem>It is not declared with #PCDATA in the dtd </listitem>
</orderedlist>
</para>
</section>

By the way, this version of Render X handles this specific example.

The docbook xsl 1.76 and the Version is 4.18 build 20100322 of March 22nd 2010.

Dr. Laurence Leff Western Illinois University, Macomb IL 61455 ||(309) 298-1315
Stipes 447 Assoc. Prof. of Computer Sci. Pager: 309-367-0787 FAX: 309-298-2302

!DSPAM:87,4e51704663734695721443!