[xep-support] Re: font support for special characters

From: Kevin Brown <kevin@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Jun 02 2011 - 11:43:42 PDT

Karin:

You should send us a short snippet of the FO. Typically when you do not get the character that you think you should be getting, you are not rendering the area in the proper font or you missed mapping that font in the configuration file. If you wish a certain character to display, you must:

1) Specify that character in the FO (you have done that as you say below)

2) Specify the area being formatted in a font that contains that character glyph (like you would have

<fo:inline font-family=”Lucida Grande”> ⌘</fo:inline>

3) Ensure that this font (Lucida Grande) is included in your xep.xml configuration and that it is mapped properly

Since you see the character in the FO as stated, the problem likely lies in (2) or (3). You should be specifying “Lucida Grande” on the font-family for the area and you should ensure you have “Lucida Grande” defined properly in xep.xml as an available font.

For using Apple Symbols, just ensure it is a Unicode font, add it to your xep.xml file as a font, then use the same family name in the document for the area in question.

Kevin Brown

RenderX