[xep-support] Re: [error] Attribute 'background-image' cannot occur at element 'fo:simple-page-master'.

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 13:49:25 PDT

At 2011-05-25 14:38 -0500, Nathan Stenzel wrote:
>Using what I believe was XEP version 4.3, the fo:region-before will have its
>background overwrite the foreground of the body. I had tried that a few times
>and had no luck. There could have been other factors too, I suppose, since
>absolute positioning vs relative positioning seems to affect the apparent
>z-index. I also played with z-index and had no luck or affect there.

Indeed the specification does not give control over the z-index of regions.

What may work fine for one formatter may not be portable to another
that implements a different z-index.

Furthermore, I believe there are rules in the specification for the
foregrounds of regions, though a quick search right now does not
reveal them to me. I use overlapping regions in my XSL-FO
stylesheets for OASIS Universal Business Language instances, but I
make sure that background of both regions is transparent and none of
the black of one region is also black in another region. To the end
user it looks simply like one layout, when behind the scenes it is
the composite of two layouts.

Wait ... I think I found it ... in section 4.9.6:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#rend-layer
   "If A and B have the same stacking layer and neither is an
    ancestor of the other, then it is an error if either their
    backgrounds conflict or if a non-background mark of A
    conflicts with a non-background mark of B."

With that in mind, I was very careful not to have conflicting black
in my two overlapping layouts.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/