[xep-support] Re: not enough memory to format (Java heap size)

From: Gerald Wiesinger <Gerald_Wiesinger@at.ibm.com>
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 00:07:52 PDT

hello,
there is not much of a solution that i can propose. i can only share ourexperience.
we are creating documents with 2000-3000 and some more pages whichprimarily contain tables. these require even more memory then normal textbased documents.
we are running XEP on a WebSphere server on z/OS with 64Bit mode enabledand the rendering process of our biggest documents takes up to 8GBs.
using the 2 step process: first create the XEP intermediate file format andthen do the final rendering did not change much. the major problem seems tobe the xep file in xml format to be stored completely in memory.afail, future versions of websphere allow compression of objects in memorywhich would save a lot, since xml files can usually be heavily deflated -not sure if such a "virtual memory" compression is available somewhere.
we also attempted to do a splitting of the transformed fo file intomultiples and then do rendering, but this causes unwanted page breaks atthe edges of each split document and it is hard to work with continuos pageheaders and footers (page numbering).we have been able to make it work but not in a generic way. only geared tothe majority of our documents. so we dropped this and increased the memory(in 64Bit mode) - which is quite costly on z/OS.
the same tests on a Win7 64Bit system showed the memory consumption verysimilar to what is required on the server - so once your document renderingrequires more than the possible 1.2-1.4 GB on a 32Bit system then it willbe very hard to squeeze such processes in.
IT Architect, WW CHIS and XPrint DevelopmentIBM AustriaObere Donaustrasse 95, 1020 Vienna, AustriaTel/FAX: (+43)-1-21145-6010 / 6511e-mail:gerald_wiesinger@at.ibm.com

From: Alexander Dyuzhev <dyuzhev@gmail.com>To: xep-support@renderx.comDate: 05.05.2011 21:23Subject: [xep-support] not enough memory to format (Java heap size)Sent by: xep-support-bounces@renderx.com

I have tested old build XEPWin Version 4.18 build 20100322.In file CliserService.exe.config I added string:<add key="CliserService.JavaOptions" value="-Xms512M -Xmx756M" />After that the process ended successfully.
Please note, old version have parameter name="CliserService.JavaOptions",but last version "JAVA-OPTIONS".May be new version CliserServicešdon't transfer JAVA-OPTIONS to JVM ?