Re: [xep-support] ePUB

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 07:09:34 PST

On 17 February 2010 14:23, Greg Baryza <baryza@intersystems.com> wrote:

>> > Drawing a line between XHTML and ePUB seems like making a distinction
>> > without a difference.
>>
>> Subtle, but important differences.
>
> Ok.  Terse comments merit the same.  Why?

Because most e-readers won't read plain xhtml.

>>  Â It appears that many of the current
>> > conversion-to-ePUB products take PDFs as input so why not cut out the
>> > middle
>> > step when you can work with the original markup?
>>
>> Appears? I'd question that. I'd say that's like taking a presentation
>> and saying you want it in another 'presentation' format
>
> And why would you question that?  The PDF-to-ePUB conversion programs I've
> looked at accept PDFs as input.
> As to another presentation format, that is exactly what I am saying.'

Its my view that this is meeting a short term need without any longer
term view of the process.
It may be available, does that mean to say it's sensible, or the
best for your processes?

>> A better workflow is to go from real semantic markup (some
>> XML vocabulary) and transform into an output format,
>> e.g. via xslt+xsl-fo then use XEP to get to PDF
>> e.g. via xslt to get to e-pub
>
> Yes, and I want to know whether I can work with a vendor I am familiar with,
> or whether I should go find another.  If they don't think that is an area
> they want to participate in, I can live with that.

The only 'vendor' you'd need would be one providing an XSLT engine.
Saxon does that well. You wouldn't need an xsl-fo vendor.

HTH

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.