Re: [xep-support] ePUB

From: Greg Baryza <baryza@intersystems.com>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 06:23:32 PST

At 01:52 PM 2/17/2010, Dave Pawson wrote:
>On 17 February 2010 13:10, Greg Baryza <baryza@intersystems.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to ePUB, so if these
> comments are
> > off the mark, I welcome the educational opportunity...
> >
> > Drawing a line between XHTML and ePUB seems like making a distinction
> > without a difference.
>
>Subtle, but important differences.

Ok. Terse comments merit the same. Why?

> Isn't the browser "flowing" content  into the page in
> > a way similar to that of an eReader?
>
>Yes, i.e. doing the layout from 'semantic' markup.
>
> Â It appears that many of the current
> > conversion-to-ePUB products take PDFs as input so why not cut out the
> middle
> > step when you can work with the original markup?
>
>Appears? I'd question that. I'd say that's like taking a presentation
>and saying you want it in another 'presentation' format

And why would you question that? The PDF-to-ePUB conversion programs I've
looked at accept PDFs as input.
As to another presentation format, that is exactly what I am saying.

>A better workflow is to go from real semantic markup (some
>XML vocabulary) and transform into an output format,
>e.g. via xslt+xsl-fo then use XEP to get to PDF
>e.g. via xslt to get to e-pub

Yes, and I want to know whether I can work with a vendor I am familiar
with, or whether I should go find another. If they don't think that is an
area they want to participate in, I can live with that.