RE: [xep-support] Socializing RenderX News Announcements

From: Barton Wright <barton.wright@streambase.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 12:02:41 PST

Karl,

When you say "the list is not current," I hope you mean that not all of your customers signed up for it, which means the recipient membership of the mailing list is not up to date. But adding new ways to deliver product announcements will not change that fact: customers will still have to sign up for the new ways, and not everyone will.

I hope "the list is not current" does NOT mean that RenderX has already made product announcements in ways other than the xep-announce mailing list!

Whatever announcement methods you provide to customers, you pretty much have to use all of them for every announcement. Using a mailing list and RSS is ideal for professional announcements, because they go into our received e-mail storage systems and can be searched and found retroactively.

I might sign up for a Twitter feed, but I hope it is never made the primary product announcement mechanism for RenderX or anyone. I don't want to have to remember to go to a vendor's Twitter page to retroactively look through product announcements -- not when I already have searchable local storage of e-mail and RSS feeds.

Requiring your customers to sign up for a Facebook account in order to receive new product announcements would be unwise. Those who already have a Facebook page might sign up as fans of a RenderX page, and might not. Facebook pages are generally personal, but RenderX product announcements are part of our professional life.