RE: [xep-support] RE: XSLFO and overprinting

From: Jan To¹ovskı <j.tosovsky@gmc.net>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 06:17:01 PDT

Hello Friedrich,

effects you are describing are so called overprint and trapping. Both can be specified directly by application (e.g. Adobe Illustrator), but in automated production it is better to delegate this step into RIP (if in-RIP trapping is available). It can even avoid possible mistakes, e.g. wrong setting for negative text. There are several workflows used in print production like Heidelberg Prinect, Agfa Apogee, Kodak/Creo Prinergy etc. which enable to 'normalize' source document, strip ICC profiles, correct line widths, and among these also discard any present trapping or create new one using sophisticated algorithms. It is very important to know used toolchain as your settings can be modified or totally ignored at the end.

Jan