Re: [xep-support] Re: JRE change produces different result (?)

From: <ben.m.wynn@rrd.com>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 07:38:59 PDT

Hi Mark,

So, with no factual informaiton of my own, I'm going to assert that the
difference is compression. Since you didn't change the version of XEP,
all the pdf streams that were produced before will still be present, but
the bits that xep relies on java for may have changed. I know java has a
bunch of compression codec's built-in, including a license for LZW
compression (used in tiff files). One or more of the compression
algorithms being 'more efficient' after you upgrade the JRE is the most
likely culprit of the file size being slightly smaller.

-Ben

owner-xep-support@renderx.com wrote on 04/16/2009 03:22:05 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone got an answer to the below please? I'm sure a number of you
> experimented with different JREs :)
>

> Regards,
>
> Mark Cilia Vincenti
>

> 2009/4/14 Mark Cilia Vincenti <markciliavincenti@gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I was clearing my hard disk space and to save space I uninstalled
> JRE 1.5, since I already had the latest version of Sun's Java.
> Then I noticed that XEP wasn't working, so I edited my xep.bat and
changed:

> C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java
>
> to:
>
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java
>

> XEP is now working again, but I've compared the same PDF output from
> the older JRE with the output of the newer JRE and, despite not
> having any visible differences (at least I'm not spotting
> anything!), the file size is different. The older JRE produced a
> 534KB file whereas the newer JRE produces a 476KB even though they
> are using the same FO and XML.
>
> Since file size is not critical, because these files will be sent to
> printers for printing, I am wondering if I should re-install JRE 1.5 or
not.

> Does anyone know what kind of differences there would be, and
> whether I should keep on using JRE6 or revert back to JRE 1.5 to
> have the best quality?
>

> PS: As a guideline, the FO uses TIFF images and SVG graphics, all in
CMYK.