RE: [xep-support] svg:filter

From: Dave Bickford <dbickford@sampletechnologies.com>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 04:53:57 PST

I've experimented extensively with this exact "problem". Even with the
latest version of RenderX there is little support for gradients and filters.

(Hopefully has become a development priority, as SVG is a fantastic means to
manipulate graphics from xml centric sources)

I have tried three sad work-arounds, each with it's own issues:

1. If at all possible script Photoshop to pre-prepare your images with
a shadow. (No doubt you've already considered this.)
2. It is possible to create separate graphics of your shadows and
"carefully" place these around your images using svg:image tags. It takes 5
separate images to do this if your original images vary in size, but you can
do it with 2 if you're dealing with uniformly sized images. (If your shadows
require a multiply of the underlying background this technique will not work
for you.)
3. I've had success with creating a top-left highlight/lower-right
lowlight bevel effect by overlaying 1pt lines over the outer-most edge of
images.

 I'd much prefer to use a shadow filter that incorporates a background
multiply but it is just not supported yet.

Good luck,

Dave Bickford

  _____