Re: [xep-support] Incorrect page margins when writing-mode="rl-tb"

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 04:17:39 PST

At 2009-03-06 11:34 +0000, Chris Bowditch wrote:
>Bob Stayton wrote:
>>I believe I have found a bug in XEP's interpretation of margin-left
>>and margin-right on an fo:simple-page-master when the writing-mode="rl-tb".
>
>My understanding of the spec is that margin-start and margin-end are
>swapped when the writing mode or reference orientation changes, but
>margin-left and margin-right are not. Have you tried using
>margin-start/end in your test file?

There are no such properties as margin-start= and margin-end=.

The net effect of the absolute properties of top/bottom/left/right is
that they are not writing-direction-dependent properties.

At 2009-03-06 01:43 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
>I attach two FO files that illustrate the problem:
>
>test-lr.fo is an FO file with writing-mode="lr-tb" on the fo:root
>element, and margin-left="1.5in" margin-right="0.5in" on the
>fo:simple-page-master with master-name="body-first"
>
>test-rl.fo is an FO file with writing-mode="rl-tb" on the fo:root
>element, and margin-left="0.5in" margin-right="1.5in" on the
>fo:simple-page-master with master-name="body-first"
>
>Note that the values of the left and right margins are swapped
>between the two files.
>
>I also attach the PDF outputs:
>
>xep-lr.pdf shows the first page with a left margin of 1.5in and
>writing mode left-to-right
>
>xep-rl.pdf shows the first page with a left margin of 1.5in and
>writing mode right-to-left
>
>Note that the margins are not swapped in the PDF outputs.
>I believe xep-rl.pdf should have a left margin of 0.5in, not 1.5in.

I agree with Bob ... the net effects of top/bottom/left/right are not
subject to the writing mode (though as Bob says, the spec is explicit
in order to create the net effect).

>The XSL-FO spec section 5.3 says that when writing-mode is rl-tb
>then left maps to end and right maps to start. That is not the case
>in the PDF files I have attached.
>
>Is this a known problem?

It is now! :{)}

--