Re: [xep-support] Simple question about vertical alignment of text in block-container

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 12:50:51 PST

At 2009-02-27 10:12 -0800, Steve Anderson wrote:
>I've got a block container
>
><fo:block-container absolute-position="fixed" z-index="-8" position="absolute"
> top="60pt" width="100%" left="2.25in"
>bottom="140pt" right="0.5in">
> <fo:block font-family="Sans" margin-top="0pc" margin-bottom="1.4pc"
>font-size="22pt"
> font-weight="bold"
>padding-top="1.4pc" text-align="left"
> keep-with-next.within-column="always">
> <fo:inline>
> <fo:inline font-size="85%">
> <fo:inline font-size="115%">S</fo:inline>HORT TITLE
> </fo:inline>
> </fo:inline>
> </fo:block>
></fo:block-container>
>
>I'd like the last line of the text in the inner fo:inline (SHORT
>TITLE) to be displayed at the bottom of the surrounding block,

fo:inline constraints can only be expressed on a line level. If you
want content at the bottom of the block-container, then use
display-align="after" on the block container.

>like so
>
>------------------------------
>| |
>| SHORT TITLE |
>------------------------------
>
>This is so, if I have a long title, it will still fit in the box,

I'm not sure quite what you are saying there by "still fit in the
box". If you wish the size of the block container to grow when the
title is to big for the box, then instead of setting the four offsets, use:

   block-progression-dimension.minimum="5cm"

... which will start the block container off at 5cm in height and
then grow if there is more content than will fit.

>like soe
>
>------------------------------
>| A long title that wraps |
>| to the last line |
>------------------------------

But that's the same height box as you have in your example above, so
I'm unsure what you are asking.

If you mean that you want the titles to grow up from the bottom of
the block container, then the suggestion above of
display-align="after" on your block container should do the trick.

I hope this helps.

--
XQuery/XSLT training in Prague, CZ 2009-03 http://www.xmlprague.cz
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/