Re: [xep-support] Hungarian Hyphenation Does Not Work

From: Thomas Schraitle <>
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 11:16:47 PDT

Hi Alexei,

On Montag, 16. Juni 2008, Alexei Gagarinov wrote:
> > The file contains examples of three languages: English, German and
> > Hungarian. English and German works, but not Hungarian. Actually
> > there are no hyphenations, although the respective attributes are
> > correctly set.
> Are you sure that XEP configuration file (xep.xml) contains the
> corresponding language element for Hungarian?
> It should look like:
> <languages default-language="en-US" xml:base="hyphen/">
> <language name="English (US)" codes="none en-US eng-US">
> <hyphenation pattern="hyphen.tex"/>
> </language>
> <language name="Hungarian" codes="hu hun">
> <hyphenation pattern="<something_like_huhyph.tex>"/>
> </language>

Thanks Alexei for your answer. Yes, I included the above snippet.
Meanwhile, with the help from my hungarian translators, I've found the
following solution:

1. Normally, everybody would download the file huhyphn.tex[1] from CTAN.
But this file does NOT work. I don't know why, but I suspect some
encoding mismatch or the like.

2. Download the file hyph_hu.dic[2] from the same directory.

3. Modify the file and add the hyphenation pattern inside a
   \patterns{ ... }

3. Save the file as huhyphn.tex in your hyphen directory.

4. Modify the XEP configuration file and insert the following lines
   in the language section:
    <language name="Hungarian" codes="hu hun">
       <hyphenation pattern="huhyph.tex" encoding="ISO-8859-2"/>

At least that improves the hyphenation significantly, according to my
translators. The only thing that scares me a bit is its file size: 120
KBytes in comparision with the original one 92 Kbyte. Maybe this can
somehow reduced to a more resonable size.

I found this solution only by accident and I tried different variations
before with success. Maybe it's easier for other languages but sometimes
it seems this is not a trivial task. It would be very helpful, if RenderX
could provide more hyphenation pattern files for other languages.

Thomas Schraitle
in the body of the message to from the address
you are subscribed from.