Re: [xep-support] Accessible PDF documents

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 05:51:34 PDT

Simon Dingle wrote:
> I am experimenting with the ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY option in order to try
> and create accessible .pdf documents.
>
> Changing this option requires that we restart our web server in order to
> pick up the new value.
>
> Is there a way of achieving the same effect using a
> processing-instruction so that we could change the value dynamically
> depending on a setting that the end-user chooses?

Hello Simon,

Creating accessible PDF files in XEP requires special actions to be
performed both in PDF generator and on earlier stages.
ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY is a core option and in this sense it is different
from other pure-backend features. Thus there is no way to implement it
for processing instructions.

For a web-based usage I would suggest to have two instances of XEP (one
created with ENABLE_ACCESSIBILITY, and the other one created without
it). Your application would than have to take care about choosing the
proper XEP instance depending on user request.

Michael Sulyaev
http://www.renderx.net
http://www.renderx.com
mailto:support@renderx.com