[xep-support] Class Path Issue with 1.4.2 Version of PDF2 Toolkit Plugin?

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 14:16:24 PDT

I am trying to get my customized and extended 1.4.1 version of the PDF2
plug-in to work with the Open Toolkit 1.4.2 under OS X Tiger (so Java 1.5)

With 1.4.2 I get this failure:

Preprocessing ended...
  [echo]
dita.temp.dir=/Users/ekimber/workspace/triumph_learning/docs/trl_doctypes_gu
ide_and_ref/../..//temp
work.dir=/Users/ekimber/workspace/triumph_learning/docs/trl_doctypes_guide_a
nd_ref/../..//temp
  [echo] dita.dir=/Applications/DITA-OT1.4.2
  [echo] basedir=/Applications/DITA-OT1.4.2/plugins/com.reallysi.fo
  [dita-version] Search finished
  [java] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/jclark/xsl/sax/XSLProcessor
  [java] at
com.renderx.xep.FormatterCore$ContentHandlerDriver.startDocument(Unknown
Source)
  [java] at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:481)
  [java] at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:305)
  [java] at
org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:442)
  [java] at com.renderx.xep.FormatterCore.render(Unknown Source)
  [java] at com.renderx.xep.FormatterImpl.render(Unknown Source)
  [java] at com.renderx.xep.FormatterImpl.render(Unknown Source)
  [java] at
com.idiominc.ws.opentopic.fo.xep.Runner.run(Runner.java:93)
  [java] at
com.idiominc.ws.opentopic.fo.xep.Runner.main(Runner.java:60)

I do not get this failure with the 1.4.1 version of the Toolkit. It must be
a class path issue but it's not clear from this traceback what jar it's
looking for nor is it clear to me where in the twisty maze of passages all
alike that is the DITA Open Toolkit and the PDF2 plugin what would need to
change.

The uncustomized 1.4.2 version of the PDF2 plugin works when I use the 6.5.5
version of Saxon. So something has changed in the PDF2 plug-in that my
customized version is not reflecting (I created a whole new plugin with a
new name to avoid conflicts with the default installation location and so
that I could manage all my plugins in the plugins directory).

I did notice that I have the Saxon 9 jars in my customized version of the
plugin (or rather, that my 1.4.2 Tooklkit installation includes those jars
which means they're in the base classpath used by the PDF2 plugin. When I
remove those I don't get the above failure but I a different failure
elsewhere (a null pointer exception with no traceback or other diagnostics).

Any idea what the proximate cause of the above failure would be and where I
might look in the PDF2 configuration to find it?

Thanks,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber