[xep-support] Repeating table header problem

From: François Yergeau <francois@xcential.com>
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 12:48:10 PST

Hi all,

I'm appealing to the expertise this list to try and solve an FO problem
which has resisted all my efforts.

I'm building tables showing "measures" authored by, well, authors.
Measures come in various types (AB, ACR, AJR, etc.) and are designated
by numbers. A table looks like this:

Smith--
AB 6, 9, 12, 22, 32,
  42, 44, 56.
ACR 1, 3.
AJR 3, 5, 9, 15, 19,
  25, 30.

[in case you're not viewing this in a fixed font, the numbers are all
neatly lined up, hence a table]

As is visible above, the measure type is first printed, followed by all
the measure numbers for that type, wrapping to a new line as required.
I do this by using only table cells (no table-rows) and setting
starts-row to true at appropraite places. All fine and dandy up to now.

If a table breaks to a new page or column, I repeat the author name
followed by "Continued":

Smith--
AB 6, 9, 12, 22, 32,
  42, 44, 56.
===== page break here ==========
Smith--Continued
ACR 1, 3.
AJR 3, 5, 9, 15, 19,
  25, 30.

This is achieved using the extremely useful rx:table-omit-initial-header
extension.

Now for the real problem: my customer wants to repeat the mesure type at
the beginning of a row, if a page/column break occurs within a
multi-line measure type:

Smith--
AB 6, 9, 12, 22, 32,
===== page break here ==========
Smith--Continued
AB 42, 44, 56.
ACR 1, 3.
AJR 3, 5, 9, 15, 19,
  25, 30.

[in the line after "Smith--Continued", "AB" has been added before "42,"]

I'm totally at a loss on how to achieve that. Any suggestion would be
highly appreciated!

Regards,

--
François Yergeau