RE: [xep-support] RE: trouble with keep with next

From: Jerry Janofsky <JanofskyJ@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 15:30:30 PDT

Victor,

Your description is very close to my issue. You did a much better job of
showing the problem.

I interpret within-column to mean precisely that, that your adjacent blocks
remain within the same column. To me that doesn't mean a column cannot span
multiple pages. Therefore, I would think a page break would be allowed (keep
in mind I am not the guy from RenderX, I'm just a user).

My problem comes down to the inability for me to prevent two adjacent blocks
from receiving a page break between the two. Ideally, what I believe I need
is:
<fo:block keep-with-next.within-page="always"> MY HEADER </fo:block>
<fo:block keep-with-previous.within-page="always"> Unknown Amount of Data
</fo:block>

What I sometimes end up with is "MY HEADER", which is always just one line,
being printed at the bottom of the page, then a page break, then "Unknown
Amount of Data" begins printing on the next page. I can't have "MY HEADER"
sitting alone at the bottom of the page or it looks kind of silly.

I've dealt with this issue before by nesting the two blocks within another
block like this:

<fo:block keep-together="always">
   <fo:block keep-with-next.within-page="always"> MY HEADER </fo:block>
   <fo:block keep-with-previous.within-page="always">Known Amount of Data
</fo:block>
</fo:block>

I was able to do that because I was certain the combined text "MY HEADER"
and "Known Amount of Data" was always going to be small enough to fit in a
page. In my current case "Unknown Amount of Data" could be any length.

Jerry J