RE: [xep-support] Problem on left align of table on page vs hanging indent

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 09:20:22 PDT

At 2007-07-10 07:32 -0700, Michaud, Jean-Francois wrote:
>Hehehe, good luck with that. At least you won't be bored for awhile ;-).

:{)}

>If I find an easy way to do this, I'll let you know. In the meantime,
>I'm afraid we're not missing anything. XSL:FO technology is simply not
>advanced enough to accommodate certain features that we would find more
>intuitive. Functional language is nice collateral damagewise but
>incrementing a counter by having to process recursively is getting old.

I see it more as a result of the "arms-length" relationship between
transformation and formatting.

>You're head will explode if you get into landscape tables set via an
>attribute ;-). The only solution available around (no, rotating a table
>90 degrees or 270 degrees doesn't work; at the time I was looking,
>roughly about a year ago) is to reprocess the whole document recursively
>to generate correct XSL:FO page templates based on a portrait or
>landscape attribute a table might have.
>
>I'd really rather not think about it actually hehehe ;-).

Oh! I've been there and done that! Have you see Crane's Page
Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI)? It is a free resource available
on our web site. It is an example of "adding a semantic to
XSL-FO": when you detect the attribute for landscape geometry and
you need a dynamic change in the page sequence, you just put that
page sequence in a <psmi:page-sequence> element. The output is
post-processed by supplied XSLT stylesheets to convert the embedded
page sequence into a sibling page sequence of pure XSL-FO for any
engine to then support.

I've been told by a number of people that this has been very helpful
... I don't know everyone who has downloaded it but I gather it gets
a lot of use.

--
Upcoming hands-on training:  UBL Oct 1-3,5, Code lists Oct 2, 2007
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/