Re: [xep-support] Flowing text around "curved" images

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 04:35:16 PST

Robin Harvey wrote:
> I have a requirement to produce PDF's where the text content flows
> around 'curved' images. To get the 'curve' effect, I am using
> side-floats, and horizontally sliced images, such that the images stack
> on top of each other, and the width is trimmed to the side of the curve
> on each sub-image. This approach works OK in principle, but I'm having
> problems with the spacing these images. I've uploaded an example to my
> website here:

Hello Robin,

Your approach with chopping images and placing them in side-floats
should work. At least I remember a test file doing something similar.

> http://bluelines.org/buslines-lh0.pdf

 From this PDF file I did not understand what the source FO was. It
looks more like a result of the 'table' approach. I think you should
post a link to the source files (with images) so that the community of
this mailing list could see them and probably help.

> I have tried several different configurations for the images, each with
> limited success. I've got the text flowing to work OK using larger
> sub-images (although join-lines are still visible) and I've got the
> sub-images to re-join OK when using a table (although the text doesn't
> flow round the 'curve', it flows round a square of the maximum table
> cell width).

With the table you wont get a 'curved' left edge of the text, for the
tables are rectangular. Side floats should work.

Michael Sulyaev
http://www.renderx.net
http://www.renderx.com
mailto:support@renderx.com