[xep-support] Flowing text around "curved" images

From: Robin Harvey <robin.harvey@chaptereight.com>
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 01:50:22 PST

Hi,

I have a requirement to produce PDF's where the text content flows
around 'curved' images. To get the 'curve' effect, I am using
side-floats, and horizontally sliced images, such that the images stack
on top of each other, and the width is trimmed to the side of the curve
on each sub-image. This approach works OK in principle, but I'm having
problems with the spacing these images. I've uploaded an example to my
website here:

http://bluelines.org/buslines-lh0.pdf

On this example, I have written a small script to chop the given image
up in to sub-images, each 1px high. I have then arranged these images
in my float as a series of fo:blocks (with padding, border-width, margin
all set to 0) containing fo:external-images (again, with padding etc set
to 0).

I have tried several different configurations for the images, each with
limited success. I've got the text flowing to work OK using larger
sub-images (although join-lines are still visible) and I've got the
sub-images to re-join OK when using a table (although the text doesn't
flow round the 'curve', it flows round a square of the maximum table
cell width).

Any Ideas?

Many thanks,
--Robin

--
Robin Harvey
Research & Development
Chapter Eight Limited
Castleton Mill
Castleton Close
Leeds
LS12 2DS
E: robin.harvey@chaptereight.com
T: 0113 227 0800
F: 0113 227 0801
www.chaptereight.com
This email has been sent to you by Chapter Eight Limited ("Chapter
Eight"). Chapter Eight is registered in England and Wales with company
number 05818885 and has it's registered office at Castleton Mill,
Castleton Close, Leeds, LS12 2DS. Chapter Eight is VAT registered
with VAT number 882 879 848. Chapter Eight is registered as a
data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998 with registration
number Z9562928.
This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s)
or company named and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. Unauthorised disclosure, copying or use
of this information may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient or you have received this message in
error, please delete this message and notify the sender.
If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering such materials to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and/or publication of this email message or its attachments other
than by its intended recipient is strictly prohibited by the sender.
On the basis that you are the intended recipient then receipt of
this email by you represents your confirmation that you agree,
or continue to agree, to be bound by our standard Terms of Business
applicable to the transaction to which this email relates.
If you require a copy (or a replacement copy) of the applicable
standard Terms and Conditions of Business please email your request
by return.