Re: [xep-support] Fonts encoding

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 07:30:14 PST

Chris,

Chris Chiasson wrote:
> Well, Unicode is, AFAIK, a superset of ANSI. The encoding is a map
> between a character code and the actual glyph used to render that
> character on screen. Fonts can be encoded in different ways. I have
> seen some fonts simply numbered from start to finish with their glyphs
> referenced simply by their order in the font file (like the
> Mathematica fonts). I wonder if that is what is meant by Identity-H.
>
> aside:
>
> XEP can't use Mathematica fonts because it needs Unicode encoded True
> Type fonts. I also tried to get the Type 1 -- I believe the Type 1
> font glyphs can be referenced by glyph name instead of just character
> code -- version of the Mathematica fonts to work, but had no luck.

If those fonts use glyph names that are not defined in the Adobe Glyph
List, you can make a simple glyph list as described in section 6.1.1.
of the reference manual. With this list you can make your own mapping
between Unicode code points and glyphs.

Werner.

> On 12/18/06, Ronald.Valersi@soplar.ch <Ronald.Valersi@soplar.ch> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have rendered a file with XEP, the font encoding is Identity-H.
>> The "fonts used in this document" in Acrobat Reader shows for the font
>> verdana:
>> Verdana (Embedded Subset)
>> Type: TrueType (CID)
>> Encoding: Identity-H
>>
>> Then i have rendered the same file with FOP, font encoding is Ansi.
>> The "fonts used in this document" in Acrobat Reader shows for verdana:
>> Verdana (Embedded)
>> Type: TrueType
>> Encoding: Ansi
>> This is what i need (but with XEP).
>>
>> I am not familar with technical details (glyph, unicode,...).
>> My interest is that the embeded fonts are ansi encoded. That can be
>> checked in Acrobat Reader under document properties.
>>
>> What i can do for you is to send you my xsl and xml file for testing.
>> Result sould be a rendered PDF with ansi encoded fonts.
>>
>> Thanks, Ronald

Werner Donné  --  Re
Engelbeekstraat 8
B-3300 Tienen