Re: [xep-support] aligning text in two blocks or columns

From: Geoff Levner <geoff@n-generate.com>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 10:30:29 PDT

On 5 Oct 2006, at 18:50, David Tolpin wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 20:23:24 +0500, Geoff Levner <geoff@n-
> generate.com> wrote:
>
>> This may work in special cases, but in our case we cannot know
>> beforehand how many of these "title" blocks there will be, nor
>> where in the text flow...
>
> Hi Geoff,
>
> it's like painting a portrait by verbal description - hard to
> imagine what you keep in mind -- maybe a mockup or a draft? Still,
> I think what you are describing is a section with span="all"
> followed by normal text flow in columns.
>
> David

No, I don't need anything to span columns. We don't even need to
talk about columns. It's just like writing on lined notebook paper:
if you paste a picture on the page and then write some text below it,
you want to write on the lines, however big the picture is.

Werner also described the problem differently in his mail to the XSL-
FO SG, which he cited in his previous post:

"It is not uncommon to have text synchronized across a document,
i.e. to make sure text lines on all pages, or all columns of a
page, start at a multiple of some fixed value. On a multi-column
page, for example, there would be no shift of the text lines
between two columns, as if a line runs through all columns
interleaved with gaps. The text can be temporarily desynchronized
because of other kinds of material such as images and tables. It
should, however, always fall back in synchronization, in this
use case that is."

Geoff