RE: [xep-support] ttf problem

From: Hood, Earl <earl.hood@hp.com>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 08:39:36 PDT

        But what about the fonts that are defined in only 1 ttf, such as
EnviroD (or Comic Sans MS: 2 ttf's)? Windows can extract the bold,
italic and bolditalic out of this 1 ttf, but can RenderX?

        How can I update my fonts.xml file so that RenderX can output
this font in normal, bold, italic and bolditalic?

I believe Windows does not "extract" anything, but uses some basic
algorithms to create the italic and bold versions of a typeface. For
example, to create italic, it applies a slanting algorithm to each
glyph. For bold, it probably renders a glyph multiple times with each
instance slightly offsetted to give a "bold" look.

Wrt RenderX, the versions I have worked with (>=4.5) have a feature to
"slant" a font to simulate italics. For example:

  <transform slant-angle="10"/>

Unfortunately, there appears no capability to simulate bolding
capabilities.

--ewh