[xep-support] Ligatures

From: David Nedrow <dnedrow@usa.net>
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 13:22:25 PDT

I know this is outside of the context of XEP support, so feel free to
point me elsewhere...

When I define ligatures in xep.xml, how does XEP know which ligature
to use for which character combinations? Are each of the ligature
Unicode characters "standard" across fonts?

IE., will the ligature for "fi" always be represented by the same
unicode character?

What about fonts that provide special ligatures such as "swash" and
others that provide distinct characters for use as the first letter
of a paragraph?

-David