Re: [xep-support] Booklet, Graphic, span two pages

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 12:21:15 PDT

Ludger.Thomas@iese.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> Dear all,
> I need to build a booklet (2 A5 pages on a DIN A4 landscape sheet with
> central gutter between the pages). In the middle of the booklet should
> be a graphic which spans the whole A4 sheet.
>
> I made some initial experiments with psbook and psnup. In general this
> works fine but I have no idea how to get the graphic span two pages. I'd
> guess that this is not impossible with these tools. Before I start
> working on alternatives I just want to make sure if the generation of
> such a booklet is possible with XSL-Fo and XEP. I'd be curious too get
> some hints, comments or examples on this issue.

There's no way to do it directly. You'd have to essentially include the
graphic twice on both pages in such a way that the result is that it
spans the pages, that is if you are generating two literal pages that
will then be printed on an A4 sheet.

But you might be able to get what you want by, for example, using a
table where each column is an A5 page and then print the whole thing on
A5. This will work as long as you don't need page numbers (that is, if
it's an invariant number of pages or you don't number the pages).

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber