Re: [xep-support] Repeating table-column value across page boundary

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 09:15:39 PST

> I have a requirement to format a 3 column table like so:
>
> DESC PAGE DATE
> xxx 1 Mar 08/06
> 2 Mar 08/06
> 3 Mar 08/06
> ..

Karl,

put an absolute container into the header for the first column, and
position it outside the area (that is, with negative bottom attribute).

> If the table requires more than one page I want to repeat the value
> of the
> DESC column at the top of the next page (and ideally add the text
> "cont.")
> like so:
>
> DESC PAGE DATE
> xxx 51 Mar 08/06
> (cont.) 52 Mar 08/06
> 53 Mar 08/06
> ..

XSL 1.1 has table markers for that; XEP will support them eventually.
For now, a trick would be to cover the (cont.) on the first page with
another absolute-container at the beginning of the first cell. Should
work in most implementations.

David