Re: [xep-support] Errors in PDF files generated from XEP

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 03:33:25 PST

Hello Mats,

You are using very interesting tools:

1) PDF page counter (trial) finds "-1" page in any PDF (I have lots of
them), including one created online on the Adobe site from a plaint text
file. So the tool seems to be just broken.

2) PDF Desktop Repair Tool finds no errors in examples/hammer.pdf (see XEP
distribution) if LINEARIZE="false" in xep.xml (checked on the lastest
build of XEP: 4.5 20060123). Otherwize if linearization is enabled, the
Repair tool finds one error (The "Length" attribute of the stream object
is wrong"). This error could possibly be relevant, because we know there
are some limitations in the linearization algorythms. Nevertheless, this
file can be opened with Acrobat Reader and printed, issuing no errors or
warnings.
An interesting thing is that PDF Desktop Repair Tool finds lots of errors
in it's own documentation file repd.pdf (although it opens fine in Acrobat
Reader). If I choose to repair it, the tool creates a new file, which does
not show correctly on Acrobat, and is reported to have many errors by the
Tool. The next iteration of "repair" process creates a file with no
content and all the original bookmarks.
I would not recomment using this tool in production.

Now to the page counting.
If you have Connectivity Kit (http://www.renderx.com/tools/devkit.html),
than you may wish to see the PageCount.java example. It counts number of
pages generated during the generation process.
If you do not have Connectivity Kit, than you are bound to use third-party
tools, or develop one yourself e.g. via a regexp.