Re: [xep-support] Footnote positioning problem

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 04:07:41 PST

Hello Teus,

Placing footnotes inside single columns is a RenderX extension to the
specification. This only makes sence when the number of columns on a page
is constant, and no flow-sections or blocks with span="all" appear on the
page. The latter is exactly your case.
Consider if the block with span="all" contains more text than just a
subchapter title and does not fit the space left on the page. It will meet
the page break and continue on the following page. So the bottom of the
page where the block with span="all" starts is rendered in sinle-column
layout, and narrow column-wide footnote in one column would make it look
bad.
There can also be a design which uses rx:flow-setion to switch from
2-column to 3-column layout and then back from 3- to 2-columns. All on the
same page. Where should the formatter place the footnoes in this case?

Anyway, XEP flushes all the column-wide footnotes when the flow-section
ends, placing them before the next flow-section (or a block with
span="all"), and there is nothing one can do about it.

  Michael Sulyaev   mailto:msulyaev@renderx.com
RenderX