Re: [xep-support] 'Object label badly formatted' error

From: Brett Karopczyc <bj@infoplusonline.com>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 08:23:26 PST

As a follow-up to my previous message:

After some investigation of this issue, it appears there may be a
problem with the way XEP linearizes PDF documents. Taking some sample
FO files from RenderX's site (to make sure I wasn't using strange/bad
FO), I tried to format to PDF with XEP 4.4. When opened with Adobe
Reader 5.x and 6.x, the resulting PDF documents indicate they are
indeed linearized (Fast Web View enabled), but when opened with Adobe
Reader 7.x, it states the document is NOT enabled for Fast Web View.
My guess is that there is some problem with the linearization of the
document that is causing the web viewing problem with 5.x and 6.x
Readers, but is caught by some extra error handling in 7.x Readers and
the linearization is ignored.

In fact, taking one of the PDF files produced by XEP and re-saving it
using Acrobat Professional solves the problem entirely - the document
is linearized properly for 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x Readers, and there are no
problems downloading it from the web. I'm really hoping to avoid an
additional step in our workflow (opening the documents in Acrobat
Professional and re-saving them) just to get a linearized file.

Brett Karopczyc
Head of Software Development
Bristol Capital, Inc.