[xep-support] floating tables

From: David Pirkle <david.pirkle@symyx.com>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 09:37:08 PST

I have a report with many small tables, and I'm trying to fit as many to
a page as possible. In the HTML version, I set the CSS attribute
"float" to "left" on all the tables, and that lays them out side-by-side
until the edge of the window is reached, at which point the next table
goes below and all the way to the left, and so on, kind of like
word-wrapping. I want to reproduce that kind of layout in FO:

[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ]

where [ ] is a table

I tried putting each table in a float element, as in <fo:float
float="start"> <fo:table>...</fo:table></fo:float>. That gets me the
effect I'm after in one FO processor I tried, but XEP only wraps the
first row of tables on each page. In other words, after it reaches the
edge of the page, all subsequent tables are on the left in a row by
themselves, with no tables to the right:

[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

It repeats this pattern for each page.

Am I taking a correct approach by putting each table inside a float
element? If not, is there a correct way to do this?

=======
information of Symyx Technologies, Inc. that may be confidential,
proprietary, copyrighted, privileged and/or protected work product,
and is meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please
contact the sender immediately, permanently delete the original and
any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.