Re: [xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

From: Carlos Villegas <cav@uniscope.jp>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 03:25:36 PDT

David Tolpin wrote:

> On 20/10/2005, at 14:14, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>
>> David Tolpin wrote:
>>

>>> I believe that Mats does not request that, but instead that the XSL
>>> recommendation specify how to handle them; because XEP is
>>> conforming now.
>>>

>> David, please, could you help me to find corresponding part of XSL- FO
>> standard where this space treatment is described? I was unable to
>> find this myself.
>

> It does not; the XSL recommendation does not say what to do with
> typographic spaces.

Well, in the white-space-treatment property description, it states:

'The "white-space-treatment" property specifies the treatment during the
refinement process of character flow objects, except for linefeeds, that
are classified as white space in XML. This includes U+0020 (space) and
other white space characters but excludes U+000A (linefeed).'

And I think white space in XML includes all Unicode white space
characters. However, white space in XML is defined in order to
distinguish between ignorable white space, as far as XML markup goes,
and significant white space. XML itself, does not change the semantics
of significant white space, I believe.
Therefore, I believe, using XML white space in XSL-FO is wrong. XSL-FO
should define its own behaviour as to how to normalize white space given
than spacing is important in formatting.

> A conforming behavior would be to leave them as
> unicode code points in the document, but most computer fonts don't have
> them (unless you typeset everything with Arial Unicode, which is only
> good for newspaper headings).

I think this is a good compromise. If you need them, use a font that
have them. Any way, if you're doing high quality typesetting, you're
probably using high quality fonts or can create your own font with those
characters.

Carlos