Re: [xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 01:20:46 PDT

On 19/10/2005, at 13:08, Broberg, Mats wrote:

> Alexander,
>
> Would it be possible to update XEP so that it preserves the
> whitespaces
> and outputs them at their correct widths?Typographic spaces are such a
> fundamental feature of good typograpphy that I think you should
> seriously consider this.

The only reason typographic spaces exist is that they were cast in
lead. It's legacy,
it results in poor typography, and creates problems which are hard to
resolve (typographically,
not programmatically). For good typography, define entities of
appropriate names and map them
to space-filled leaders of appropriate lengths -- and use them for
truly good typography.

David