Re: [xep-support] Different performance on different systems

From: Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 05:53:38 PDT

uwe.goersch@lhsystems.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing the following situation: When XEP renders a FO source into a
> PDF target, I am facing a bad performance on one system and an
> acceptable performance on the another system. The two systems are using
> different hardware, software and network infrastructure. However the FO
> source, the XEP version 3.8.4 server edition are the same. (Suprisingly)
> the hardware performance features on the system with the bad performance
> are better.
>
> I measured
> - 120 seconds of waiting time for the system with bad performance and
> - 9 seconds of waiting time for the system with acceptable performance
> for executing the code marked by ***HERE*** in the output (snippet)
> generated by XEP.

> (generate [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]***HERE***))
>
> In order to find out the reason for the different behaviour, I would
> like to know what the XEP renderer is doing at this point of progress.
> Did anyone face similar problems or does anyone have a hint how to
> analyze this problem best?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

What sort of environment are you running XEP in? Is it running inside a
Webapp, from commandline or an embedded java application? We found XEP
doesn't scale across multiple CPUS in a multi-threaded java application.
Others have reported the same on this list. Adding more CPUs actually
makes the performance worse!!!!!!

Perhaps the machine which you say is superior has 2 CPUs versus 1 for
the machine which yields better performance.

Chris