Re: [xep-support] how long does it take to create a PDF?

From: Carlos Villegas <cav@uniscope.jp>
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 02:02:11 PDT

One thing we noticed is that if you're using lots of external SVG images
that contain a DOCTYPE referencing the DTD in W3C.org, things get very
slow. XEP tries to revolve all external references and it loads the DTD
every time for each image. Removing the DOCTYPE from SVG images reduced
the processing time from 35 min. to 40 seconds in a document with about
60 images in our case. We have a pretty fast internet conection, but
accessing the w3c site for XEP is very slow. Also if the pc is not
online, then it will fail to load the images. I don't know if there's a
way to set a custom entity resolver for images, I think this has been
asked before. The entity resolver for documents and stylesheets are not
used for images, at least in our tests (XEP 3.84). I think XEP should
provide a default that handles the SVG DTD locally or provide a way to
customize the entity resolver used for loading SVG images.

Carlos