RE: [xep-support] Preserving whitespace in programlisting output

From: David Cramer \(Tech Pubs\) <dcramer@motive.com>
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 08:11:42 PDT

Kenneth,
This doesn't address the details of your actual question, but my gut tells me that cutting and pasting from pdf to code is not a good idea. Aside from your issue with tabs, what about listings that don't fit well on a page (so you break lines with an arrow indicating that you've done it--the docbook xsls can do this automatically now). One of the reasons we do our docs in DocBook is to provide pdf (for printing) and html formats. We have an eclipse infocenter running standalone to serve up all the docs in a convenient, searchable format to services. From there, they can also get pdfs or chms of individual docs (e.g. to print a portion or send an individual doc to somebody) or the whole infocenter for offline use. Another alternative is having the xsls spit out the programlistings as separate text files in a code samples directory with some naming convention that would make it easy to go from the pdf to the code sample (then even using callouts in the listings would be no problem). But if they're reading online anyway, wouldn't html be a more suitable format?

David

  _____