Re: [xep-support] Lots of embedded font subsets

From: Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 03:36:38 PDT

Hello Brett,

When embedding PDF as an image XEP drops some PDF objects which cannot
be used in a resulting PDF, but fonts is a critical part and XEP
cannot be told to drop them. Note also that all font subsets are
unique and as far as I know Acrobat itself cannot make single subset
out of them while joining several PDFs.
What you should do in my opinion is configure application that
produce those PDF images so that it makes PDFs with non-embedded
fonts. Even if those fonts won't be available in the final document
you'll be OK since Acrobat will substitute them with default fonts
(and you said it's fine for you). In this case the font redundancy
will go away.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
RenderX

BK> Hello -

BK> I'm currently investigating XEP as a FrameMaker replacement in a highly
automated DocBook ->> PDF workflow, and so far I'm quite impressed. We