Re: [xep-support] Errors with Chinese fonts

From: Alexei Gagarinov <support@renderx.com>
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 06:56:32 PDT

Hello Keith,

> [error] Unsupported file format or broken file found reading
> font metric from file:/Library/Fonts/DFPHeiW3-GB: Not a
> TrueType/OpenType file, or unsupported TrueType version: 0.0

This error means that the TrueType font is invalid according to
TrueType/OpenType specification.
More accurately, the 'sfnt version' entry of this font has value of 0.0
(major.minor) which is incorrect according to the specification.

From the aforementioned spec (see section 'Organization of an OpenType
Font'; http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm):
OpenTypeSpec> OpenType fonts that contain TrueType outlines should
OpenTypeSpec> use the value of 1.0 for the sfnt version. OpenType fonts
OpenTypeSpec> containing CFF data should use the tag 'OTTO'
OpenTypeSpec> as the sfnt version number.

I suggest you to contact your font vendor regarding this issue.

With best regards,
  Alexei Gagarinov
RenderX