Re: [xep-support] Saving FO output

From: Mike Trotman <mike.trotman@datalucid.com>
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 04:25:50 PDT

You should still be able to use any XSLT compliant processor to produce
your XSL-FO from your XML/XSL if you can't manage to save this from XEP.

I always use XEP from the commandline - so haven't looked at the API for
changing how the process runs.
I also run many of the same documents through either FOP or XEP
depending on what I need.
If the output can be produced by FOP I find it is often easier to
produce much smaller PDFs (maybe through default font-handling?)
E.g - for a common type of file I process - FOP output - 6K, XEP output
= 384K!

I do this for most of my output - as it's easier to time, tune and debug
the XSLT/FO part this way.
It probably also cuts down on memory requirements and improves
processing speed - depending on how your production process needs to run.
I often find - for large documents - that splitting an XML FO output
into several files that are included by a main file can help and
increases flexibility / re-usability.

Then you can feed this FO (and - yes - any FO from anywhere else)
through XEP.
e.g - from command line:. xep.sh -fo <any FO you like> -pdf <pdf file name>

If the FO using other vendor extensions (e.g. FOP uses fox:..) then
these will obviously not be recognised by XEP.

Mike