Re: [xep-support] RenderX features

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 01:32:03 PDT

Johannes,

Besides the number of features that aren't implemented, my main complaint
is about FOPs very limited formatting capabilities.

- I don't think it has a decent page cutting algorithm that uses some kind
   of priority mechanism to find a good page cut. This can be derived from
   the lack of support for keeps, widows, orphans and page-break properties;

- The support for spaces and padding is poor, both in the block and inline
   progression dimension;

- Whitespace treatment is absent.

If your documents have only paragraphs, simple tables and lists FOP, without
much extra contraints FOP could do. But as soon as you want more control over
the layout you will run into unexpected difficulties.

FOP will sometimes also bail out on you without giving a single clue, which
is not very productive.

Best regards,

Werner.

--