Re: [xep-support] Configuring fonts from an otf file

From: Christopher Wong <cwong@idiominc.com>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 08:00:39 PST

I'm not sure that's quite right. I just tried printing one of those
Chinese PDFs with "fake" bold, and bold text prints on paper in bold
(Adobe Reader 7.0). I don't see how automatic bold generation is all
that different in principle from automatic slanting, which XEP does
support. There is no downside to supporting automatic bold generation:
Adobe's Reader supports it fully, and supporting it in XEP simply means
the ability to specify the ", bold" variant, which the new font file
format does not support.

This is a big issue in practice. Adobe's reader will auto-download only
the plain font (AdobeSongStd-Light, for simplified Chinese). Adobe does
not provide bold/bolditalic variants of these fonts, and understandably
so, because of their size. This is because Adobe's reader fully supports
generating "fake" bold, italic and bold+italic variants, both for
viewing and printing. So how should I generate bold CJK text in PDFs for
a wide audience?

Chris