[xep-support] Wrong kerning in XEP 4.0.1

From: Jirka Kosek (jirka@kosek.cz)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 10:52:20 PDT

    Hi,

    I'm just trying new version of XEP and I like many new improments
    (especially fi ligature). Unfortunatelly I hit one problem with a new
    version. Some interletter spaces are too big -- it seems that wrong
    kerning is used, but the output is same also when I switch of kerning in
    configuration file.

    All problematic words were displayed using Times New Roman font from
    Windows XP.

    Here are some samples (| denotes visually unpleasant space):

    pří|padech
    otáz|ce
    trans|formaci

    The kerning is wrong both on screen and also when printed, so the
    problem should not be caused by Acrobat inaccuracies during PDF display.

    In other aspects new kerning behaviour is better. For example L and T
    are placed closer and look much more better.

                                            Jirka