Re: [xep-support] Cyberbit font and XEP_384 incompatible (was: Error: missing XSLDriver)

From: Alexei Gagarinov (agagarinov@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 05:17:24 PDT

    Hello Nick,

    > This is an incompatibility between the font Cyberbit.ttf and XEP_384.

    Cyberbit font is inconsistent with TrueType Specification:
    All TrueType fonts include 'post' table that contains the PostScript names
    of all the glyphs. According to TrueType Specification, number of glyphs in
    'post' table should be the same as the total number of glyphs in the font.
    However Cyberbit 'post' table has names not for all glyphs.

    > However, I am now getting an error:
    > [error] java.io.EOFException

    I agree, that XEP reaction could be more adequate in such a situation. We
    will implement some workaround for this problem in one of the future
    releases.

    > Any thoughts on a work-round for this, other than not using Cyberbit?

    I believe the only way to make XEP 3.8.4 work with this font is to find the
    correct Cyberbit font (if it exists).

    > If I have to change fonts, can you suggest a source for an open-source
    > Unicode Japanese font?

    You may try to use MS Gothic (TrueType) font for Japanese.

    With best regards,
      Alexei Gagarinov
    RenderX