Re: [xep-support] Stretchable no break space

From: David Tolpin (dvd@davidashen.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 15:13:34 PDT

    David Tolpin:
    > > "lese". The problem is when text-align="justify" is specified and spaces
    > > between words must be stretched. Normal spaces ( ) are stretched to
    > > proportionaly distribute gap between words. Unfortunately width of
    > > no-break space does not stretch so these spaces look thinner than normal
    > > spaces. This leads to a very unpleasant rendering.
    >
    > Jirka,
    >
    > this is a bug. I'll try to fix it.

    This is not a bug. This is a feature. I've recalled the story
    behind this feature and want to bring your attention to it.
    I am not sure what the correct solution is.

     XEP used to replace   (as well as certain other blank
    characters) with spaces (without allowing lines to break around
    them). This worked as you would expect it to work, except that no-break
    spaces collapsed at paragraph boundaries.

    There was a customer who complained that certain authors use
    non-breaking spaces for text-indent, and, according to the
    specification, they should not collapse.

    After a bit of arguing and weighing benefits and drawbacks,
    we had decided to keep non-breaking spaces all the way through
    the formatter, so that just look like spaces, but do not behave
    like they do.

    A consequence is that they are not stretched when they text is
    justified. I am not sure it is the right result, but, at least,
    it is simple and consistent. Anything that is not an XML space
    is not a space in XSL FO.

    A solution would be to take each sequence of words joined by  s
    into <fo:inline keep-together.within-line="always">V lese</fo:inline>.
    If it works for you, use it. If it does not, I need a consistent
    approach, or we'll end up applying the same change back and forth.

    David