[xep-support] Differences between version 3.7.1 and 3.8.1

From: Peter Kester (peter.kester@daidalos.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 11:42:01 PDT

    Hello all,

    I've discovered some serious differences between version 3.7.1 and 3.8.1.
    We have developed some xsl-fo scripts that worked very good with version
    3.7.1.
    Now our customer has upgraded to 3.8.1 and the output suddenly changed in a
    not acceptable way.

    We are using the xep extensions for marginalia and found out that while
    everything works all right in version 3.7.1 the output in version 3.8.1 is
    different for floats on the outside of an odd page.
    we use the following code for floats so they will be placed on the cutting
    side of the pages. (On an even page it will be printed at the left side and
    on an odd page it will be printed on the right side)

        <fo:float float="outside" start-indent="0mm" end-indent="0mm"
    clear="both">
          <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="marginalia" width="17mm">
            <xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>
          </fo:block>
        </fo:float>

    With version 3.8.1 the marginalia on the odd page the text for the floats is
    right aligned and if it is longer than 17 mm is will NOT wrap.
    On the even page the text for the floats is left aligned and if it is
    longer than 17 mm is will NOT wrap.

    In version 3.7.1 everything works all right. The alignement is correct (left
    aligned for both sides) and the wrapping works if the text is wider than 17
    mm

    Can somebody explain to me why version 3.8.1 works different than 3.7.1? Is
    this a bug or what...

    If this is no bug but intended can we downgrade to version 3.7.1?

    Furthermore 3.7.1 has default behaviour: validate=true and
    DISCARD_IF_NOT_VALID=false and 3.8.1 has default behaviour: validate=true
    and DISCARD_IF_NOT_VALID=true
    Is this also intentionally?

    T.I.A.

    Peter Kester