[xep-support] Re: Footnotes

From: Eddie Stavenuiter (eddie.stavenuiter@plantijncasparie.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 07:00:43 PDT

    Hi Christopher,

    I understand your problem and in my opinion there's only one solution. You have to known where the text breaks and flows onto a new page. How do you do this? It would be nice if XEP had an extension which would insert a processing instruction in the FO source document. You could then write software to remove the duplicate footnotes and translate the processing instruction to a pagebreak, leaving space which was occupied by the removed footnotes.

    I'm facing the same problem, though not yet. In the future we are going to use XSL-FO for publishing. We have to merge footnotes which are almost identical. I think the solution I described is the only one. I hope that XEP will incorporate the required extension, otherwise you would have to write software to analyze the generated PDF to find out where the text breaks and flows to a new page.

    Eddie Stavenuiter