Re: [xep-support] user stories wanted

From: David Priest (priest@sfu.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 15:51:37 PDT

    I operate as WritersBlock Technical Communication. For my current primary
    client, we have migrated from proprietary long-document authoring software
    (Corel Ventura) to a unique and powerful workflow that permits multiple
    authors, version control, publishing on demand, and has eliminated all
    proprietary software requirements.

    This workflow is based on ReStructured Text, a human-readable markup
    convention that is transformed into XML through the use of Docutils, an
    open-source project. The XML is then transformed using XSL:FO to produce
    ready input for XEP. The XSL:FO transformation handles everything from
    standardized title-page layout through chapter content runs, sidebars, and
    indexing. We then have XEP perform an automated build each evening,
    generating publication-quality PDFs for our use the next morning.

    We are now able to encourage our engineers and technicians to directly
    contribute to the documentation via text source check-in via CVS, our
    editor (myself) to monitor and finesse these contributions, and to provide
    our customers with up-to-date manuals specific to the particular
    software/hardware combination they possess. It has been a significant
    improvement in both workflow and costs.

    We chose XEP for its professional layout capabilities, including
    widow/orphan control, hyphenation, solid rendering engine, and superlative
    PDF output. If you wish to endure more evangelism on my part, please feel
    free to contact me: priest at sfu dot ca.