[xep-support] Can specific code points be re-directed to a specific font family?

From: DESEYNE Jacques (Jacques.DESEYNE@swift.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 07:56:07 PDT

    I may be missing something, but if I want to render a portion of text such as:

    <code>a &#x2246; b</code>

    then I am not helped by producing things like:

    <fo:inline font-family="Courier" font-size="10pt">a &#x2246; b</fo:inline>

    as Unicode character 0x2246 (less than or equal to) has to be rendered using the Symbol font (I presume, as only this AFM has a
    glyph 'lessequal').

    Do I have to take additional measures such as:

    <fo:inline font-family="Courier" font-size="10pt">a <fo:inline font-family="Symbol">&#x2246;</fo:inline> b</fo:inline>

    (which means scanning your character data for specific code points)?

    Or is there a way to impose Symbol (or ZapfDingbats etc.) for _specific_ code points, whatever the current font family happens to
    be? The etc/fonts.xml file seems to offer no way to do this.

    Jacques Deseyne
    User Documentation Dept.
    S.W.I.F.T. - Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication
    Avenue Adèle, 1
    B-1310 La Hulpe
    Belgium
    +32 2 655 3111
    http://www.swift.com

    This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or proprietary and are intended for the
    sole use of the recipient(s) named above. It is not intended to create or affect any contractual arrangements between the parties.
    If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you for your
    co-operation.