Re: [xep-support] Re: can't list multiple page references for index terms

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 04:20:01 PDT

    Hello Susan,

    Your previous message to this list bounced because of attached file.
    The policy of this list is to reject messages more then 40000
    characters long (this includes Base64-encoded attachments).

    The stylesheets you refer to were proprietary stylesheets used by
    RenderX to format XEP documentation written in a subset of Docbook.
    The aim of 'index.xsl' module was to support Docbook indexes, however it
    was rather experimental and we have never actually used it much. We
    shipped it only with several XEP versions up to XEP 3.4.
    Note that those stylesheets were not intended to be used as example
    and we do not provide any guarantee that they there bugs-free nor we
    support them in any form.

    Starting from XEP 3.5 we completely give up use of the proprietary
    stylesheets and decided to use standard Docbook stylesheets created by
    Norman Walsh. This allowed us to use the full set of Docbook elements
    and to avoid problems with maintaining our own set of stylesheets.
    From that time on, XEP distribution contains only customization
    stylesheets which are supposed to work with standard Docbook XSL
    stylesheets.

    I have added an empty index element (<index/>)to the end of your
    document (before </book>) in order to trigger Index generation and
    processed this document with standard Docbook stylesheets - the index
    was successfully generated. I'd rather suggest to switch to the
    standard Docbook stylesheets. You can use your own customization layer
    (as we did now) in order to achieve desired appearance. Customization
    techniques are thoroughly described in Bob Stayton's excellent book
    "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide" (http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/)

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX